College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
All undergraduate students are encouraged to enroll in the following courses offered by the Writers' Workshop:
- CW:1800 Creative Writing Studio Workshop
- CW:2100 Creative Writing
- CW:2870 Fiction Writing
- CW:2875 Poetry Writing
- CW:3003 Writing and Reading Science Fiction
- CW:3005 Creative Business Communication
- CW:3107 Creative Writing for Health Professionals
- CW:3218 Creative Writing for New Media
- CW:3215 Creative Writing and Popular Culture
- CW:3850 Creative Writing for Non-Native English Speakers
- CW:3870 Advanced Fiction Writing
- CW:3875 Advanced Poetry Writing
- CW:4745 The Sentence: Strategies for Writing
- CW:4751 Creative Writing for the Musician
- CW:4760 The Art of Revision: Writing for Clarity
- CW:4897 Novel Writing
- CW:4875 Undergraduate Poetry Workshop*
- CW:4870 Undergraduate Fiction Workshop*
*These courses are conducted in much the same way as the Graduate Poetry and Fiction Workshops.
Individual course descriptions are available on MyUI.
Creative Writing Studio Workshop (CW:1800) satisfies General Education requirements. Creative Writing (CW:2100), Fiction Writing (CW:2870), Poetry Writing (CW:2875), the Undergraduate Poetry Workshop (CW:4875), and the Undergraduate Fiction Workshop (CW:4870) may be taken as an elective, applied towards an English major, or towards the English Department's Undergraduate Creative Writing Track.
Admission to the Undergraduate Poetry Workshop (CW:4875) and the Undergraduate Fiction Workshop (CW:4870) is competitive, based on acceptance of manuscripts submitted for approval. All undergraduate students are encouraged to apply, regardless of whether they are English majors, or enrolled in the Undergraduate Creative Writing Track. Students must submit a manuscript of one short story or 6 to 8 poems to the Workshop office, in the Dey House, by the Thursday before Early Registration begins -- between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM.
The Workshop also runs a summer program that is open to both undergraduate and graduate-level students.